My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Shhhh...Part 2

...their gone and the silence is golden. Now, don't get me wrong...I love my grandbabies and we just do not see them often enough. Getting back to a routine is a wonderful thing and they will be happy to get into their own beds tonight. We will also get back into a normal routine (whatever that is) and hubby can relax a bit more and continue to heal.

Having the babies out of their normal routines was a bit of a challenge for everyone, then there is the expectations of who is doing what to help in which fashion. The visit should have waited until Ed was back on his feet a bit more, but it didn't so we made the best of it as it was.

So...the house is quiet...no TV, no radio, nothing but the tick-tock of the clock. Nice. Tomorrow it will be too quiet, but for now it is nice.

BBQ hamburgers were requested for dinner, I shall make that happen as soon as I post this. It will be nice to get back to our normal meal pattern as well....little ones just have different schedules and habits than old foggies like us .

After we eat a quick and light meal I am hunting up the JoAnn's ad, hoping to find rolled batting on sale. I want to start pinning these tops Nancy sent in May. She also sent some kits all cut ready to sew, I might do a bit of piecing, it has been so very long since I have taken the cover off my machine for anything more than some quick mending. I am really looking forward to having those winter days to sew again (I did not say I was looking forward to winter...I said when winter arrives I can then spend more time sewing), seems like I get the bulk of my sewing/quilting done during the late fall through early spring months when the yard and gardens are not calling my name so loudly.

My sister is coming next wknd...to can tuna...YAY!!! With my canning helper out of commission sissy said she would help out, we (Ed and I) usually can for her pantry as well as ours but she said she wanted to learn and help...YAY!!! Somehow she manages to get her tuna to last 2 years, us...no way, we can a minimum of 100# or so each year just for us!! When my sister comes she is bringing me garlic...not just a little bit but tons!!! I asked her to bring as much as she can, and then a little bit more. Sure glad they will have it in their rig in that hot sun rather than it being in mine!!! PHEWY!!! The agreement is: you guys bring the garlic, Ed and I will can it. So...we will be canning garlic for 3 pantry's: ours, my sisters and my niece Mandy's (Mandy and Wayne grow garlic so this will be gleened from their fields - FREE, we like FREE). Everyone provides their own jars, we provide the rest. Pickled garlic, minced garlic, whole garlic.....um um ummmmmm...we like garlic!!!

I am not a big huckleberry fan but hubby is, my sister trades him a bag of huckleberries for a batch of my homecanned sweethot mustard....the berries were picked last wknd (they picked 22 gallons up on Mt. Hood~~WOWOWOWOWOW)...the mustard needs to be made this wk.

Oh I do so love how my pantry looks as the canned goods get re-stocked. Due to Ed being laid up and not able to help as much I will do as much as I can and we will make do. Ed will help in anyway he can (peeling garlic...that is a huge HUGE help!!).

So, there you have it...an update from warm~sunny~Southern Oregon. Now I am headed out to BBQ a burger.

9 Comments:

At Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:21:00 PM, Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

you can your own tuna? like as, tuna fish sandwich tuna? sorry for being so ignorant, but I live in the midwest and we can corn, green beans, peaches, you know, the regular stuff! and 100#??? that's a LOT of tuna. I love it too--man I sure wish I could be there to help! And garlic too--hmmm, wonder what your kitchen is going to smell like after a weekend of canning tuna and garlic? Please take pictures!! I'd love to see this!

 
At Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Melzie said...

I never heard of home canned tuna how neat :) Enjoy your return to routine! Do you have a Hancock fabrics? Batting will be 30% off starting next thursday there! LOL xoxo melzie

 
At Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:18:00 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Peeling garlic sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy your tuna.

 
At Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:50:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

all right! for quiet and getting your house back. we love our grandbabies, and we love it when we have our time back. I sure could not get all that canning done-you go girl! I am sure it all will taste extra wonderful this winter. I agree- I do more quilting late fall through the winter too. Though-I have managed to get more done this year-what with no backyard gardening to do!

 
At Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:04:00 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Wow, Pam, just read your last several blogs..I'm playing catch up...what a busy lady you are! I can't wait to have grandbabies to keep and send home! First is due in January, so those days are a coming! Spent a week with my folks recently and almost EVERYWHERE we went, my 2 y/o nephew and 5 y/o niece had to go, too. Was ok, but dh and I are not used to having kids around any more and it was nice to come home to the peace and quiet of our childless home(well, ds still lives here, but he's almost 20!)

 
At Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:04:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

How wonderful to see the harvest come in and be put up in colorful jars along a shelf. I think I might have to drag out those food fabrics I've been saving and make my jar quilt this fall - that's all I have to harvest!

 
At Monday, August 14, 2006 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

There's something to be said for silence---- and routine. I remember growing up and coming home and my Mom be in a totally quiet house, no radio, no tv, no stereo. I'd think--Man, this is crazy...I need noise. Now - I relish the moments of quiet in our home. I have 2 teenagers so those moments are few. Have fun.

Melanie

 
At Monday, August 14, 2006 2:19:00 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Wow, canned garlic. Interesting! I usually do pickles, tomatoes and jam. Easy things that I can do in a water bath. I love the way they all look in my root cellar with my potatoes and onions and a freezer full of beets. Yum!

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 8:36:00 AM, Blogger Fabricfaire said...

I can relate to canning fish. When DH and I go to his favorite fishing spots,(of course my sewing machine goes also!)(Rouge River,Klamath,Fall River,Hat Creek or Eagle Lake)the canner and jars goes w/us!! DH is no cook, but he has mastered the canning process. We even bring home the last catches frozen and then smoke them in a smoker made from a old refrigeratior,(holds lots) and then can the smoked salmon,trout,etc. Makes great treats and holiday gifts!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home