My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Time to Update....

....although I really should jump in the shower so my hair will dry before bedtime (6 hrs from now).

Hubby is now home from the hospital. Surgery was a bit more complicated than expected and what started out as a 3 hr surgery ended up being an ordeal lasting almost 7 hrs.

Once they got into his back and his spine was visible they discovered damage to L-2 through L-5. L-5 was the disk they went in to work on.

He spent extra time in the hospital which was fine with me, he needed to be where he could get the best help and the best start at healing.

When our son called me 5 hrs after surgery began, 2 hrs after it should have been over and he found out that his dad was still in the O.R. he packed a few things and left San Diego at 7 p.m. and drove through the night to get home.

I was glad (and thankful!!) to have him home, he is a great friend to me. He was also a great help to me by spending alot of time with my momma so my time was freed up to spend with Ed or work or other things that needed to be done. Ryan and I also worked in the yard, he hauled some river rock that had been delivered before Ed went to the hospital. He even stayed a couple of extra days when Ed wasn't bouncing back the way we had hoped. We have such good good kids...no complaints from us!

So, Ed is now home. He is learning what he can do for himself and what he needs to ask me to help with. I went back to work but he knows I am less than a 2 minute drive from home if he needs me.

We are thankful for many things:
Skillful surgeons
Safe travel for Ryan (1,000 miles each way...drove straight through coming and going)
Summer weather so Ed can spend time healing on the deck
My office being close to home
Momma's good attitude during this confusing time to her
Our kitty who is always good company and entertainment for Ed
and of course Pain meds *¿*

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:15:00 PM, Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

CarGuy and I have gone through something similar. I wish Ed well and a speedy recovery.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:30:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Hope they help! You do have a great son.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:56:00 PM, Blogger Gail said...

God Bless your son for being so good, and continued progress for Ed-don't forget to take care of yourself!

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 5:07:00 AM, Blogger Hanne said...

Speedy recovery to your DH. Take care of yourself too !

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 5:16:00 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I am so happy that the surgery was a success! I hope Ed has a speedy fur filled recovery. (Don't discount to power of a purr.)

Just having my kitties got me through a few tough times!

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Oh, how scary for all of you! I'm so glad he is home and doing well now. Thank goodness for kids - I often wonder how people without children deal with times like these. We are so very blessed!

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 1:41:00 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Wow, that's a really great son you have!!!! Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home