My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Friday, July 14, 2006

My husband collects rocks....

no kidding, he really does....I think he inherited rock gathering from his dad...you see, it is like this....Ed grew up in a teeny-er tiny-er coastal town than we currently live in...Yachats...(pronouced....Ya...HOTS), as a family they spent alot of time on the beach...and my father-in-law couldn't walk past an agate or pretty rock without picking it up, taking it home and putting it in one of his many rock polishers.

We too live near the Southern Oregon beach and without fail my husband has a plastic bag in his pocket even if he THINKS he might be near an agate bed! My kids roll their eyes, but it matters not to hubby.

Now the grandkids...they all think this is so cool...being encouraged to stuff their pockets full of rocks, or being allowed to carry Gpa's bucket (at least until it gets heavy!) on those more serious rock picking trips where heads are slanted downwards and all eyes are on the look out.

When my father-in-law died hubby lugged home all the polisher equipment and set up his own little rock polishing area. Day after day, night after night our house was rockin' ....24/7 for days and days. The end result were beautiful agates and shiny rocks that multiplied in our basement, 5 gallon bucketful after 5 gallon bucketful...of rocks.

This past weekend he drilled a hole through his bowling ball (that has been in the basement keeping the rocks company for years!) and I put together this gurgling fountain. You can't really see the water coming out of the top, but it does...and then flows down the ball and onto the agates, drips into the planter where the fountain pump is. We really like how it turned out. I love the sound of water. The Koi pond and now the BB fountain offer soothing sounds in our backyard.

More rocks and agates are being used around the Koi pond..pics will be posted, but it is no ways near done...

14 Comments:

At Friday, July 14, 2006 8:36:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

oh, how totally cool Pam...and Ed!!!
I too live with a rock collector...but no polisher...this looks so wonderful...

 
At Friday, July 14, 2006 9:38:00 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Very cool fountain!

At one time I HAD a fountain, and loved to listen to it, but a couple of little fur-faced bandits decided it was the best tasting drinking water they'd ever had - and my pump went dry - then burned up before I noticed it.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:55:00 AM, Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

That is pretty, and a good idea to put the rocks around the koi pond, too. Guess Ed was right, those rocks came out beautifully! I'll bet the water sounds lovely.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:57:00 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Beautiful fountain! I love it. Just goes to show everyone that collecting something doesn't mean you're strange.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:15:00 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is a great fountain and a good use of your husband's pile of rocks!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 6:34:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

You live in suce a beautiful part of our northwest. Been to Yachats many times! We made a yearly trek from Seattle to Coquille when I was growing up to visit my grandparents, and the explored much of the southern coast while we were there. Also had aunts and uncles who lived on the beach on Whidbey island so I know exactly what you are talking about. Rocks, agates, shells and driftwood - inside and outside. I loved the way it made their houses look! I spent many a day walking the shores of Puget Sound with my head down looking for shells and agates. Wonderful memories!

Your fountain is just wonderful - and so creative! What gave you the idea to use the bowling ball? I never would have thought of such a thing.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:44:00 AM, Blogger ~Mandy~ said...

That is SO NEAT! Before I read the blog about the BB, I thought that was one of those garden globe things. I remember being at your house several times and hearing this noise in the basement...I was like?? Then I finally asked you and you told me Uncle Ed was polishing rocks! Too funny! MacKenzie has always loved rocks too, since a very young age. She has her own rock collection, and I am always finding rocks in the washing machine because she forgot to empty her pockets. Maybe she will be a volcanologist someday!

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

This is so amazing, Pam! Very, very clever use of a bowling ball. Heck, you could have used mine as it is buried in the bedroom closet somewhere.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:32:00 PM, Blogger MARCIE said...

You get the award for best use of a bowling ball! That fountain is great! Also your house looks darling. We lived in the Seattle area before we moved to Virginia. After today with the heat index at 98 and the humidity to match I would love a day in the great Northwest. (We like it here also)

 
At Sunday, July 16, 2006 8:43:00 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Pam, you have no idea how startled I was to see Yachats mentioned...LOL. While in the Air Force, stationed at Mt. Hebo, we lived in Woods, OR for about a year, and then moved up to a slight larger house at Hebo. I'm very, very good friends with most of the coastal towns..from Tillamook down through Pacific City and Yachats..*VBS*
So cool to know you live near there..*VBS*

 
At Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:04:00 PM, Blogger Tazzie said...

That is just too cute!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

 
At Monday, July 17, 2006 2:55:00 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Nice fountain - I love pretty rocks too!

 
At Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:00:00 PM, Blogger Melzie said...

That is absolutely beautiful and unique! xoxo melzie

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:15:00 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

That is so cool! I like shiny soft things like rocks too, although I don't have a collection. And to turn it into a beautiful fountain is such a great idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home