My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My Baby Boy is Home

OK, so lately I haven't been posting many quilty related messages...sorry, but you all already know I have had other things going on in my home...so bear with me a bit longer...should be over in the next couple of weeks and I can get back to a normal (what is normal??) routine and this blog just might return to being a quilt related blog.

In the mean time....here is what happened at our home last night....

Our oldest son, Roy, is a fisherman...not a "grab your pole and head to the pond for the afternoon" type fisherman, but the get on the ship and don't get off for 3-4-5 months type fisherman. His ship arrived in port this past weekend, last night we were finally able to talk with him...it is always good to hear about the latest antics of 500 people stuck on a ship out in the middle of the Bering Sea for months on end, but I love to hear about his reunion with his wife and 2 young children. Instead of them heading back to their home (90 minutes from the shipyard) they usually spend the first couple of days as a family holed up in a motel~just the 4 of them, catching up before they make themselves available to others.


Our grandson, JJ(Jason), is 3 years old and what a card he is...and a charmer to boot!!! We don't get to see JJ and his 4 yr old sister, Maddie(Madelyn), very often because they live so far away, but we do spend an incrediable amount of time talking to them on the phone. So...last night, after I spoke with Roy for a while JJ was insisting that he get to talk to me. OK, JJ gets on the phone and says, in his sweet precious little 3 year old voice, "Grandma, your baby boy is at my home." ??? Huh??? What was he trying to tell me, I didn't get it. "My baby is home?" "No, grandma, your baby boy is at my home." This went on for a few minutes and soon Roy and Naomi were on the other end of the conversation trying to figure out what JJ meant, and Ed and I were trying to figure it out as well. The more we worked at understanding him the funnier he seemed to think it was, but he stuck with it until we figured it out!



All of the sudden I remembered a conversation JJ and I had back in September, shortly after Roy had arrived home from a 5 month trip. I asked JJ what his favorite part about having daddy come home was and he said (in his then 2.5 yr old voice) "wrestling" to which I told him to please be careful with my baby boy. It took a while but I worked hard trying to explain to him that baby boys grow up and become daddy's, trying to get him to understand that his daddy was my baby boy. Oh good grief, I might as well have been telling him that his sister was a monkey...that would have been a bit easier to convince him of, I am sure! Now...7 months later he is telling ME that my baby boy is home!

As soon as I realized what he was saying I just cracked up!! That little guy had stored that info and saved it up...then when his daddy gets off the ship the next time, 7 months later, he pulls it out of his memory and teases me with it!!

My oldest baby boy and His baby boy

Have I mentioned I love being a grandma??

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:39:00 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

What a lovely story! Kids are way too cute sometimes! Glad your son is home safely! And they are a smart couple to "hole" their family up in a hotel for 4 days! SMART and AWESOME for their relationship!
Hugs
Laurie

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:45:00 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Ha ha! Very cute! I wish I could go straight to grandmahood! I don't want any kids, but I would be a great grandma! Doesn't work that way, you say? Ah well, I'll just enjoy hearing about yours.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:55:00 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

I went to being a "mother" and "grandmother" just by marrying the "dad" and "pawpaw"--might work, Laurie Ann.

What a doll baby your JJ is!

 
At Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Cher said...

nice photos Pam...always love seeing your "boys" :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home