My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Momma and Her Flower Fairies Quilt

Finally Blogger has decided to be nice and is allowing me to post some pictures of momma recieving her Valentine's Day gift. I have been trying to remember what year she began working on this quilt. The best I can narrow it down to is 1998. My parents, my hubby and our youngest son had gone to Seattle to visit with our oldest son while he was in college and of course momma and I had to take a quilt run! She saw a beautiful quilt hanging on the wall and decided that was the one she and daddy would have on their bed...she purchased everything she needed to make it exactly like the one in the shop (with the exception of the backing - - only because the shop did no have enough and it was out of print!) took it all home...washed, ironed and squared up her yardage, then cut the whole thing out...all of it...for a queen size bed. Labeled each section of cut pieces and stacked them all in a couple of pizza boxes. She went to work right away on getting the double 9 patches done and then added the setting squares and got it all in strips. Then she suffered a major stroke. This is the only bed quilt she ever started for herself. Rarely did she make anything for herself, there was always a project on the machine for someone else. When I packed up her sewingroom, and removed the pieces of this quilt from her design wall I thought maybe I would bring it home and get it done ASAP. Then life happened and I did not get to it for a couple of years. My father's health declined, we moved them both to a facility where they could still be together, daddy died exactly one month later.


This first picture is of her opening her gift,
with the sudden realization of what it was. He expression is priceless.

Why don't I ever remember the video camera setting at a time like this? I would have loved to share her complete reaction with my sister.





Here she is examining it,
it is beautiful!
I may have finished this, but she started it.
I applauded her over and over again
for her workmanship,
I think she was pleased with herself.
Since she had strips done all I had to do was sew enough of them (5 strips) together and then add borders. The borders are not what she planned when she started making this, but this is the adjustment I needed to make to get it to fit the extra long twin size bed she now has at the care center. It sure has brightened up her room!

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:42:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

That is just so nice that you finished it for her. It looks great!

Judy L.

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:43:00 PM, Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

I'm gonna cry--what a beautiful story. And it was so good of you to finish that quilt and give it back to her. I'm sure she'll treasure it.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:09:00 AM, Blogger Vicky said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of the quilt! Your mom is beautiful, and this quilt will bring her much comfort and joy! ((HUGS))

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:20:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

What a wonderful thing to do for your mother. You will remember her expression all of your life. I hope you will write a short history of the quilt - just as you told it to us - for a label on the back if you've not already done so. Then future generations can treasure the memory also. It turned out just beautifully.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:17:00 AM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

{{{Pam}}} what a beautiful story! That quilt will be a family heirloom.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:19:00 AM, Blogger Cher said...

ah, the rest of the story-glad you were able to post these photos..I know it means the world to your momma to have that quilt where she can touch it all the time and fall asleep under it-wrapped in all that love.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:52:00 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Thanks for sharing with us! A neat story and you've made her very happy.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:54:00 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Very neat story, thanks for sharing & thanks for finishing the quilt for your mom.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:13:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Really a wonderful, caring story to go with a wonderful quilt. It does make her room bright and cheery and I hope she has happy dreams sleeping under ths special quilt!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Friday, March 03, 2006 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Wonferful- thanks for sharing! The quilt looks like it makes her room so much happier :-)

 
At Friday, March 03, 2006 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Finn said...

What a beautiful double 9 patch she made. It's very striking with the darker blue diagonal run..I love it. It's wonderful that you share the joy of the quilt with your mom..two pairs of hands to made a whole. Hugs, Finn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home