My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Doing the Can-Can

Tuna Anyone?


We hit the ground running, my sister , Ed and I...and this is what we accomplished in a 24 hr period of time:

Tuna
62 half pints and 32 pints
Salsa
18 quarts and 1 pint
Garlic Jelly
23 jelly jars and 4 half pints
Sweet Hot Mustard
8 half pints

We also managed to peel a half a bag of garlic...not much but we were hopping in the kitchen and only took short breaks in the yard to peel garlic while we were waiting for a canner to finish or for the salsa to cook down.

This is how the garlic....a whole lotta garlic arrived...on the top of her car, they had a 5 hr drive and did not want to smell it the whole way. Ed will be peeling garlic for days, maybe weeks...pickled garlic, minced garlic and garlic oil will be showing up in each of our pantry's.



Not sure how we fit in all that we did but we made these cell phone charms during a "down time"...you know...I think we had more than 24 hrs because there was no way to have done all that we did in just one day. Cell phone charms...what will they think of next? To be honest, I like adding a bit of my own personality to anything that is a must and for me a cell phone is a must.

And the rest of the story...tuna, salsa, garlic jelly, mustard, great time with my sister ~ both the laughter and the tears , towels that stink, hands that stink, a floor that would not pass a health inspectors visit, yellow jackets swarming, cats begging, hot flashes, POP POP POP as jars would seal, I would not trade one second of our day for anything! I love you sissy!

11 Comments:

At Sunday, August 20, 2006 1:00:00 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

wow! you/'ve been busy

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 1:52:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

wonderful bounty from the land and seas. I know how good that home canned tuna is and no wonder Akira thought he should have some. Y'all were driving him crazy!

Everybody gone home now?

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 4:03:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

how much fun and great stuff to look forward to eating too!

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:12:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Sounds like a great productive day with family. I love the garlic on the top of the car!

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 7:30:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

What a beautiful display! I can't believe you got all this done in one day. Brings back memories of when I canned all our fruit and vegetables. I just loved standing in the garage and gazing at the rows and rows of jars that looked so colorful and pretty! Did spaghetti sauce from our home grown tomatoes but never did fish!

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:15:00 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

I AM impressed!

And I loved the picture of the garlic topper on the car... bet that got some funny looks as she drove!

I've never had tuna that wasn't commercially canned, but I'll bet it is good!

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:39:00 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Hi Pam

We spent the weekend canning salmon -- 15 dozen -- 10 dozen sockeye - 3 dozen sockeye smoked and 2 dozen spring salmon smoked and then canned. Maybe we can do a trade - salmon for tuna!! ha ha -- and I made a batch of Fig jam. I didn't make any cell phone charms though.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I love lining all the jars up after canning or jamming. It is so satisfying to see something concrete for all the time spent! You did a great job. And cell phone charms!

 
At Monday, August 21, 2006 1:12:00 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Well done! I love going into my root cellar and seeing all my cans of tomatoes and pickles. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

 
At Monday, August 21, 2006 3:45:00 PM, Blogger Fabricfaire said...

You gals (& DH )sure done good ! What a "stash". My mouth is watering!!!

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:55:00 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I love putting up things I've made. Today I made one measly albeit big jar of black currant jam. I had to rescue the black currants from my freezer before the move!

I had no idea you can can tuna like that! Cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home