My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Friday, February 17, 2006

IIWIID aka Ugly Duckling and Stuff


The only positive that can be said about this quilt is "It is what it is - DONE!" I can only hope that blogger will bless me by not allowing this picture to enlarge so that the poor workmanship details are even more blantant...please blogger, please. The points are not matched- -therefore the zoom lines (in white no less) show up really well ugh - - I did the blocks in 2 different settings which is the reason some are clockwise, and others are not - - it hung on my design wall for so long all those bias pieces pulled horribly out of shape - - - in other words...whine whine whine...which I have done and will now move past. In my own defense I can only say that the last couple of years have been difficult emotionally and maybe (*¿*) I was working on this during one of the deepest darkest times...which thankfully are over and done with...so there you have it, a true ugly duckling But a DONE Ugly Duckling!

MOVING ON - MOVING FORWARD
I feel so welcome in this group. There is such encouragement to be found. I read the ring for several wks before submitting my blog to join. I knew what I wanted in a group and scoped you out before committing myself. Thanks Cher for allowing me to tag along and barge into your space. I am not real good at keeping up with comments as I work full time, care for my mother 2-3 evenings a wk and spend all day Sunday with her as well. BUT I do read each blog each day while at work, on break etc. Today Blogger would not let me post comments so I wrote down my thoughts and will do a group comment here...seems so impersonal but for today it is the best I can do...so...here I go..in no particular order:
  • To All* the Valentine blocks/wallhangings/quilts posted have reminded me (oh gosh, how could I forget??) that I did a row robin with 5 of my closest pals. My theme was Valentines...and it was to be a full size quilt for our bed...I am now rethinking that and might get it turned into a wall hanging for my new kitchen.
  • To those going to or just home from quilt camp* I am green with envy...what fun what fun. This is the first year in over 10 years that I did not attend quilt camp, I know you all had or will have a great time, laugh a little for me, stay up an extra 10 minutes for me, and while your at it, please eat another piece of chocolate or some more chips and salsa for me. Thanks! I knew I could count on you!
  • Amy* Happy Wedding Day! May your special day be all that you have dreamed it would be.
  • Mary* Labeling: I love your embroidered labeling, I think it looks wonderful. WTIL has preprinted labels that we use and are provided for us free of charge. At one point were had a file we could print them out for ourselves but now they are screen printed and sent to us. Pretty cute too, I will try to get a good picture of one to post. If not, maybe LindaJ or Cher can post one. As for saving your blog posts...great idea...and I think I will start printing mine off and saving them as well. We have a family blog that has gone on for along time, it would take forever to print that but I might give it ago as well. Thanks for the idea! And thanks for all the encouragement you give me.
  • LaurieAnn* the tree ornament is waaay too cute...if I asked nicely would you share the instructions? Pretty please? Each year for Christmas my sister and I exchange tree ornaments rather than gifts, there is not a thing in the world either of us needs so we decided years ago to gift each other ornaments...that little lightening bug ornament is the cutest thing ever!!! I do not profess to be a "bright" fabric person...give me my pastels and 30's prints and lock me in a room...I will be as happy as a clam...but after seeing your Twirling Stars I might have to change my mind and keep on working with brights rather than digging out my softer, milder fabrics.
  • Nancy* Nothing beats a good sewing chair..the one I have now I brought home from the office 17 years ago because it was too old LOL maybe I need to dump it and get a new one...this one has 2 pillows (smashed down over time) and 2 covers on it...I'll be watching the office supply store ads tomorrow and if hubby has any questions I will tell him "Nancy inspired me!" LOL
  • Evelyn* Pictures of Eggenberg Castle beautiful!!! chocolate fondue...yummy!!! Little Boy too cute!
  • Carolyn* 25 Block quilt. I started making 25 square blocks out of my Y2K all those years ago...using the signature square as one of the 25...I will have to dig that out to see how far I got with it...oh dear...not another "Dig that out?" project to add to my ever growing list.
  • Joanne* We too have a miracle baby boy...ours is not 24 - - he is the one who took me to the orphanage a couple of years ago.
  • All you DJ'ers* I applaud you each and everyone! I tried..really I did, but it was too labor intensive for me at that point in my list...I will happily display my 2 finished blocks and say I WAS a DJer too...for a day!
  • Barbara* OK, spill the beans...where did you find that darling house bag pattern and is it still available? That is the cutest of the cutest bags!
  • Karen* LOL...the hubby pics are priceless...and I did see the orignal set before you edited your post LOL...
  • Debby* Your 2" strip quilt gave me a wonderful idea for using up my first leaders and enders, which are part of the 3 sets of Y2K swaps I participated in but did nothing with. Using the same print for the larger square will help me to get over the "gotta match, gotta coordinate" quilts I usually do and move me closer to the scrappy quilts I need to make to lessen my stash.
  • Jeanne* I have been a journaler since my high school years...don't have enought figures and toes to tell you how long ago that was...part of my journaling has always been to include the things I am thankful for, appreciative of, and blessed by. Thank you for sharing your list each day, it doubles the blessings I have in my life.
  • Michele* Oh I knew there had to be someone in the crowd to keep my feet on the ground and make me feel all warm and nostalgic with my beloved 30's repros...thanks! I love them..and handpieced makes them even more yummy
  • I know I am forgetting something I wanted to say...LOL but rest assured, as soon as I remember I will post it!
  • LJ....those pics need to be deleted!!
  • JudyL* yes, confession is good...and at your prompting I confessed to the whole Ugly Duckling quilt...every inch of it, every detail...Three Blooming 9 Patches...you should win an award...they are beautiful and each one different from the next.

8 Comments:

At Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:27:00 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow, I think you should win an award for keeping us all straight! I think your quilt is fine! I used to be a more "perfectionist" when it came to quilting - of course, that was before I had a baby! Now, if I make a mistake, but the block is still the right size - I leave it. I only rip if I need to make something fit. Some child will just love that quilt!!!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 8:08:00 AM, Blogger Cher said...

first Pam..I am thrilled, thrilled! that you tagged along and have jumped back into quilting with so much energy-big hugs! and I am glad you posted the label-as I am not home to do that myself..and of course you did great in your block response....good thinking on your part.
Second-I LOVE your ugly duckling quilt- but you knew I would! It is great colors and great design and it is DONE!!! so applaud, applaud and now what are you going to work on next??? yep, that's me, cracking the quilty whip LOL

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Granny said...

I pretty much have no taste and some of my quilts are probably pretty ugly too but I like your purple and yellow quilt. Blogger let me enlarge and heck, it looks pretty darned good to me.

Glad to have you here!

Judy L.

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:17:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And I love the ugly duckling. In the eyes of the beholder?

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 7:37:00 PM, Blogger Debby Brown said...

All finished quilts are beautiful!!!

Truly, a lovely and happy quilt.

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

I agree with the others - not so ugly a quilt after all. There are always some of mine I like more than others and sometimes the ones I think aren't going to look that great end up just fine.

Thanks for posting the label - it's cute. My guild uses a stamp on the back of the donation quilts with the guild name. There's just a part of me that wants my mark on my quilt - even if I'm the only one who knows who MJ is.

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 7:37:00 AM, Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

Pam--I think you are too hard on yourself! I think it's wonderful and it's done! that's even more wonderful. There are quilts of mine over the years that I look back on and wonder what I was thinking and maybe I should get rid of them. But I don't, because I look how far I have come since then, and that's a good feeling. Be proud of what you have and just keep moving forward! :) and ps..welcome to the group!

 
At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:29:00 PM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

Pam, thank you for your sweet remarks about my gratitudes! I'm behind on blog-reading,and I just found your message :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home