My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Reflections

I cannot remember what year this quilt was made. My mother and I almost share birthdays (I was born just hours after her special day) and each year we do something special together. The year this quilt was made we took a our first Mystery Quilt class. It was a wknd worth of fun, laughter and time with my momma. It was the first time either of us had used thangles. The instructor kept saying, "now get out your HST's". At one point a lady who was just NOT catching on asked, "I forget, what is a HST?" The instructor gave a great big sigh at the same time I had leaned over to whisper to momma..."Hard Students to Teach." OOOPS..me and my big mouth. Everyone heard me and got a big kick out of it as I turned beet red. The shop owner (in structor) never again refered to them as HST, she always said, now get your "Hard Students to Teach"

Along with the cutting instructions were given these guidelines: 2 contrasting fabrics, not suitable for strips or plaids. That was it. I had just had my office remodeled so went with colors which would compliment the wallpaper on the opposite wall of where this would hang.

I finished my top that wknd and 3 friends helped me handquilt it in a hurry. Momma had her blocks done but not joined together. Momma was not to be out done...she might not have finished her top, but she was going to put the icing on the cake and add prairie points around the edge, smarty pants! She did not finish her quilt. After years of it just being the top with those wonderful prairie points, I had it quilted for her and then did the finish handwork while sitting with her in the care facility.

Here is a pic of my Reflections, and here is a snippets of hers hanging where she can enjoy it each day.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:35:00 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

This is lovely. What a neat idea for sharing birthday time together....

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:55:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

What a wonderful story Pam! And what a special memory.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:49:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

another great momma story Pam-sorry, but I like hers more!

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Cher adn LJ, I knew the two of you would side with Momma on this one! Figures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home