My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Monday, February 13, 2006

Flower Fairies


Flower Fairies for Momma
yes, that is dirt...the wind caught it and the back brushed against the fishpond...thankfully it brushed off without leaving any marks....but wanted to show you the quilting...it is wonderful

Tomorrow, Valentine's Day, my mother will see these blocks for the first time in 4½ years. You see, my mother, had a stroke in August of 2001...it took her speach, her ability to walk, her ability to use her right hand....but it also took away her ability to create beautiful quilts. The stroke took everything but her mind, she is as sharp as a tack...just trapped in a body that no longer works and left with no voice to express herself with.

When I went to pack up her sewingroom, these blocks in various states of completion, were hanging on her design wall. With heavy heart I packed away the things she loved, the projects she had started, saving them for a day when I could touch what she had touched, sew what she had sewn, and complete what she had started without breaking my own heart over and over again...my momma was- - is - - - and always well be - - my best friend.

Over the course of these 4½ years I have completed a few of her quilts, but this was the hardest one to get to, this was to be the quilt that went one their bed, my parents bed. Just when I thought I could get it out and finish it, my dad passed away, that was in September 2004...needless to say...it was even harder to finish, emotionally I couldn't do it.

I changed it around, making it to fit her bed at the care facility rather than a queen size bed and have enough left over blocks to make a pillowsham and a pillowslip for the small little pillow that supports her left arm when she is sitting in a recliner. The rest of the blocks will go to LindaJ to make something wonderful out of. Now the Flower Fairies (named for the fabric that it is made out of) is finished and I am so pleased at how it turned out...so very pleased. I think I did the binding in record time. I can't wait to give it to her.

I have declaired 2006 to be the year of the finished UFO's...which includes some of the 18 UFO's my momma had as well...ugh...but I have thus far stayed on track, and have been inspired by my pals LindaJ and Cher to keep on keeping on. And so I shall.

9 Comments:

At Monday, February 13, 2006 8:10:00 PM, Blogger Judy D in WA said...

What a wonderful story. I'm glad you finished it for your Mother to now use and enjoy.

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

What a wonderful gift! That was so sweet of you to finish it for her. I know she will be absolutely thrilled and I also hope she will be able to convey that to you somehow.

Good luck with finishing the UFO's. We're all here to cheer you along!

Judy L.

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 8:35:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I lost my Mama last year. She was also my best friend and I miss so much being able to sew with her and share what I'm working on. I have the blocks of the last quilt she worked on before she went into a nursing home but haven't been able to make myself do anything with them yet. One day I will finish it as it is going to be a beautiful quilt. Just probably not anytime soon.

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 9:03:00 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

What a wonderful gift!!! You are a great daughter and friend to have finished that for your mom! She will truly cheris the gift!
Hugs
Laurie

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 4:45:00 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

An absolutely wonderful gift - your Momma is sure to love it and I am sure it will be a comfort to her.

My Mom passed away 7 years ago next month. At the time of her death I was working on my Millenium Quilt and I just haven't had the heart to return to it. So, I understand all about needing some time for emotional projects. Maybe, just maybe, inspired by you, I will be able to once again look at my Millenium Quilt this summer and bring the project to completion.

Wonderful job.

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:46:00 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I know she will love it. You are a great daughter!

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 3:53:00 PM, Blogger Kairle Oaks said...

We'll all be eager to hear how your mother responds to her quilt. What a thoughtful daughter you are!
Kairle

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:17:00 PM, Blogger Three Friends said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:21:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

Pam this is indeed a beautiful quilt! I know your momma's eyes will light right up and she will be stroking it long after you have to go home tonight. yes, we will keep on keeping on-together-hugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home