My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Secret Wonky


Jeni's Wonky

I made this wallhanging for my niece-in-law's new office. This is her first year as an elementary school counselor and we are all so so so proud of her! She worked hard to get her degree, landed a job as a school secretary to get her foot in the door, when this job as counselor opened up she applied for it and of course she was the favorite!!!

That in itself would be just too wonderful BUT this year she is once again a full time student, studying to get her Masters. She has to drive over an hour to get to the campus for night classes, she is really committed to her grad school goals. Add that to her new job and she has her hands full....but that isn't all...she is also pretty much a newlywed (they just celebrated their 1st anniversary) and has a toddler and infant at home (well, ok...ok....the toddler is Luna - their one year old lab and the infant is their new bird dog puppy who as of yet doesn't even have a name~ but the pups are THEIR babies!!!). Wow just thinking about all that is going on in her life makes me tired, it is a good thing she is young!

So....I made this silly wallhanging (which started out to be a doorhanging but the letters were too big!!!) to help her celebrate her new job, and to be a daily reminder to her that I am so proud of her. I hope when she looks at it she remembers I am praying for her and am a silent partner as she reaches into these young lives and makes a difference in the world. The world can be such an unwelcome place for kids but having Mrs. Hume available will be a blessing to them. Did I tell you how proud of her I am???

Why the parrots?? Jeni and Alan's beautiful and fun outdoor wedding was a Hawaiian party, complete with professional hula dancers, coconut shell bras and grass skirts. After the wedding they packed up all the fun decorations (including blow up monkeys and palm trees) and put it all in a box in the closet...when Jeni needed to decorate her office, she pulled that box out and instantly had a fun theme!

And I mustn't forget to mention my nephew, Alan. I am so proud of him. He is an EMT/fireman. You know when they are little boys and throw rocks at each other and fight with their sisters and spend their time feeding the cows and pigs (raised on a farm) and land their first job pumping gas at the local gas station....it just seems like they will always be little boys....and then they grow up and become responsible men who become husbands and fathers (ok, ok...those puppies really are their children!!) and they pay their own bills and buy a home and etc etc etc. Sometimes I just want the world to stop spinning so I can catch up with these kids!
Have I mentioned how proud I am of this young couple?!? Thank you Alan and Jeni, the world needs more people like you!

9 Comments:

At Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:18:00 AM, Blogger Hedgehog said...

What a special gift!

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

sounds like Mrs Hume has a really fun office. marvelous job on the wall-hanging.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Another fun little wonky quilt! You have me itching to get in my sewing room and play.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:21:00 PM, Blogger Tazzie said...

What a lovely post, and so nice that they're so happy. I love the wonky, I feel like I want to make door-hangers for everyone!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:14:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

What a wonderful surprise you made! And - her office sounds just too fun. Yup, we can tell you are the proud Auntie... nothing wrong with that - sometimes it is nice to know that others are cheering you on!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 6:03:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

You are truly a special aunti to have made such a beautiful gift for your niece-in-law. I'm sure she'll look at the quilt every day and think of you cheering her on.

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 7:02:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful story! Isn't it fun to make things for people we love? You have every right to be proud of those 'kids'!

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 12:24:00 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

That's a fun wall hanging... :) And I really respect her for working hard and going back to get her Masters. She'll need that for certification if she decides to be a school counselor in most states.

 
At Monday, October 02, 2006 6:01:00 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

Both of them have accomplished quite a lot, and it was sweet of you to make her the wallhanging to commemorate. What a fun idea to have an Hawaiian wedding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home