My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Addition to yesterday's post

I try to have handwork to do while visiting with my momma. She seems content to have me there no matter what I am doing, we don't have to chat, sometimes companionable silence is all she needs.

Before her stroke we would often sew or craft together. When we had family gatherings someone was always in charge of coming up with a craft that all of us would like and then all the ladies (and a few of the grandkids) would have our crafttime....oh good grief the odd ball things we have done over the years!!!

When I packed her sewingroom up, the quilt on her machine was a WTIL quilt which I finished and gave to a little boy in Mexico this past June (yes, it took me 5 years to be able to finish it~I was torn, should I finish it and then keeping it as her last project or finish it and give it WTIL, I decided she would want it to go to WTIL...). As a team, she and I made one niece a wedding gown, when my oldest son married in 2000 she was my biggest supporter and encourager as I sewed over 15,000 beads (yes, you read that correctly ~ FIFTEEN THOUSAND) on lace and then made our daughter-in-laws gown from the lace. Handwork has always been a favorite past time for us to share.

When I am working on a project while visiting her she watches me like a hawk. She laughs when I poke myself, encourages when there is a lot left to do, cheers me with each finish ~ watching me the whole time. We count the corners when I am binding a quilt ONE, TWO, THREE and finally together we shout FOUR!!! Then she lays whatever the finished project is out on her lap and starts picking all the loose threads, pointing out if there is something that needs to be cut etc. Since I am currently working on OLD OLD OLD UFO's she is recognizing some of them and making comments (which I cannot understand!!!) or laughing if by chance it was something we each worked on or something she too made WAAAY back when.


This is one of many sets of sewing kits I have made, Linda posted a picture of a set I made for her and yes it was a gift for working on my row robin years ago. However, this set was made for my momma. She actually had a couple of sets, but this is the set I choose to use most. I love the bright happy print.

The blocks are foundation pieced. For a while I was a foundation piecing maniac. This was YEARS ago...years ago. (don't get me wrong, I still love foundation piecing just not a maniac about it). The blocks I used to make these sewing kits are 2½" or 3" square and the foundations were made from rubberstamps (yes, ink the stamp and stamp on cloth). Most are Granny Nanny stamps but there are other brands as well. Linda and I had a blast stamping muslin and sending sets across the USA to each other. I have a couple of miniture quilts that I made for myself that I will get a few pictures of and post at some point. Most of the miniture quilts I made were given away, and sadly I did not take pictures of them. I know my sister has one (hey, Nancy, can you take a picture of it and send it??? please and thank you) and I know several are packed away in my mothers things.

OK, time to shut this down....I finally found a new purse while shopping tonight and want to "move" into it before bedtime.

Survivor was just so-so tonight.

9 Comments:

At Friday, September 22, 2006 4:03:00 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Oh, my, I remember those stamps! I just never actually made more than one or two blocks from one.

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 6:01:00 AM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

I'd never seen rubber stamps for quilt blocks before -- what a neat idea! And yes, survivor was only so-so, I found it rather long given you knew from the start how it would end...

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 8:21:00 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

It is so fun to share crafting memories. I'm sure your mother really appreciates the memories, even when she can't communicate them with you.
And I can't even think about 15,000 beads!

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Those stamps take me WAY back. A bunch of us each bought a couple, then had a stamping party where we stamped muslin with each others blocks. I don't think I ever finished any of the little quilts - I still have all the stamped muslin ready to go. One of these days . . . . And I still have my own stamps - a log cabin, a half log cabin, and a pineapple. Those stamps were so much fun!

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Finn said...

What great fun to see your sewing notions and what you like to use. I'm not familiar with that particular iron but will check it out now when I go shopping..*VBS*

You know, I had almost forgotten about the Granny Nanny foundations stuff...LOL I have a couple of packages of her stuff..very small pumpkin I think, and maybe an Easter egg? I've seen the rubber stamp that became so popular but never did try one. It's fun to see all that stuff again. Thanks for sharing, Hugs, Finn

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 5:59:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

what a blast from your past Pam..thanks for sharing...it would certainly make me smile to see that bright happy fabric as a pin cushion -good choice!

 
At Friday, September 22, 2006 6:43:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Gosh - those rubber stamp patterns look like they would encourage one to never, ever throw away even the tiniest of scraps! Tiny! LOL.

How nice that you are able to spend this time with your Mom. Yes, sometimes companionship is more important than conversation.

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:13:00 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

15,000 beads?!?!? That's a lot of work and how wonderful you were able to share the experience with your mom. Sounds like you, your mom and family had lots of fun.

I've never heard of quilting stamps, but sounds like something I would like to try. I'm going on a shop hop today and I wonder if anyone still carries the stamps.

Where did you get the pattern for the sewing kit? It's adorable.

 
At Sunday, September 24, 2006 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Hanne said...

I remember those stamps. We could not buy the stamps but we could buy the stampings, for a relatively high price, so I used to buy one and draw them off on tear away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home