My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Friday, September 15, 2006

Binding

I have read a couple of blogs of late that mention how the binding is not holding up on older quilts. Here is a suggestion: if you are planning to make a quilt to "last a life time" cut your binding on the bias rather than the straight of grain. This will make the part that folds much stronger, rather than a single line of threads with a straight of grain binding, you will have a criss cross of many many threads on the fold. Does that make sense?? Making your own bias binding is easy. You can find a good tutorial at QuiltPox. This site also gives you a calculator which is really nice since I tend to make WAAAAY more than needed. Having extra binding is a good thing, just sewing it all together and bind those charity quilts with lots of color!

Currently I am finishing up the hand work on a few Christmas gifts, some I will be able to post pictures of once they are finished, others I will not due to who is reading my blog. I keep a supply of handwork in my mothers room and do that while we visit, she will sit for hours without saying a word, just watching me stitch. If I am working on one of her UFO's I always help her snip the last thread so as to say she was the one who finished it...works for us.

It's Friday!!! YIPPEEEEE!!! Tomorrow is football jamboree in the next town over. Our 3 oldest grandkids will be with us all day. Rex is playing in the jamboree, the little guy who once dressed up for Halloween as a football player is now a real football player, how did that happen? Tristan is on the yearbook staff so he will be running around with a camera, Katie will no doubt sit in the stands with her nose in a book and her MP3 player in her ears. Their parents will be in Eugene at the Ducks/Sooners game, yesterday was their anniversary.

Enjoy your wknd....Fall is in the air, time to start getting our yards and gardens ready for winter. The wind blew really hard around here yesterday, I am hoping to see some leaf piles, full of color, here and there around town.

6 Comments:

At Friday, September 15, 2006 8:10:00 AM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Pam, thanks so much for stopping over at my place..*VBS* I was so happy to have Cher include me in the butterfly challenge..*S* I'm sorry to hear that you had to bow out, but next time??? Cher and LInda are such great gals, I do feel blessed to have been enriched by their friendship.
Love your Sept thought, and what a great quote from H. Kelley. She is personal favorite of mine and such a nice lady. I'll have to look for her book.
Great quilt you made for Niles and your kitty..LOL, and also a neat one for your sisters door.
The melted butter post is just wonderful...funny how those just pop into our heads. Your Tillamook(which really IS the best!) took me on a memory trip also. I sure did grow to love it over our year+ in Oregon. Have a great weekend. Finn

 
At Friday, September 15, 2006 2:09:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

blogger or bloglines is having a problem today so cannot tell who is updated and who isn't---mine even disappeared for time, like yours did. ACK!!!!

Sounds like a busy weekend ahead with the kids but good that the parents can get away to the college game.

 
At Friday, September 15, 2006 5:49:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

It really rains in Oregon? When we were there last summer we had one week of glorious sunshine. I don't know if I've asked you before or not, but where in Oregon do you live? DH and I visited Bandon and fell in love with the area. We plan on going to Sunriver next summer.

It sounds like you will have a fun football tomorrow. I hope Rex's team wins.

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006 3:20:00 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Oh dear - I just have this huge mind set against bias bindings, but if it will make my quilts last longer... I know it isn't hard, I just have to do it! Thanks for the site.

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006 6:51:00 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

I've only used bias binding once, and I gave the quilt away, so I have no idea how it's held up over time.
Kids grow so fast, enjoy the grands while you can.
I love that you let your Mom "finish" her quilts. Your love for her shines through your words.

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

Oh Pam, 'snip the last thread' is so sweet!
Have a great autumn-y day!
Jeanne :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home