My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Secret Wonkiness Unveiled

Here is the other wonky wallhanging I did but had not posted the picture (yes, it is square, I was standing in the hallway taking this shot from an angle). This one now lives at my sister's house...and yes, there is a story...My sister is one lucky duck! She has a whole room - yes a WHOLE room that is her closet!!! No, it isn't a little nook off of the master bedroom. No, it isn't an extra large hall closet...it is a full sized bedroom that she has remodeled and made into her closet...isn't that cool??? She has those wonderful California Closet type units on the walls. An ironing board with a really neat-o shoe rack under it. Our mothers beautiful full length mirror. The whole room is just awesome. She has make it just what she wanted it to be...HERS!!!

Now, she hasn't always had this "closetroom", it used to be a bedroom until her daughter was married last December leaving my sister with an empty room. So, this past Spring and Summer my sister has cleared out, cleaned up, fixed up and tinkered around until she made this room just like she wanted.

The frustrating part for me was finding something fun to do for her or give her that would be helpful in her closetroom. I couldn't come up with anything...nothing except suggestions of things for HER to do. I don't live near her so helping with the work was not an option. She pretty much covered the walls with closet units and years ago I made her a wall hanging for her to pin her broaches and other pieces of jewerly on (we both have several broaches that were either our grandmother's or mothers...we love those retro broaches with all the color..she has a really neat one of a peacock-I'll let her keep that one...LOL...she loves it, I think it is, well - - - interesting to say the least!!!). I just was not getting any ideas on what I could do to help her celebrate her new closetroom.

Anyway....I decided I couldn't really do anything for IN her closetroom so I would do something for ON the door of her closetroom instead. Now she has a wonky doorhanging...for her closet room.

When she got home from work yesterday it was in her mail box, she says she opened it and was very surprised...and she likes it!!! she put it up - then took it down to iron out the fold lines (from mailing) then put it back up. I am going to suggest to her that she take it back down and hand quilt around a few of the hats and ladies' heads...that way it would be a project we both worked on.

OK, just having a whole room for a closet doesn't make her the luckiest person but it sure does make me smile when I think about it, after all before our oldest son left for college he had to clear out his room, pack up everything he wasn't taking with him and then our youngest son and his friend painted it for me and I thus was born My Creative Mind before our son took his first college course!!!

I have another wonky doorhanging in the works (a congratulations, good job! gift), but it too is a secret and I don't want to spill any beans....but man I wish I could be there when she opens it and realizes that yes...I am a bit off the wall!!!

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 5:45:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

You are getting to be a whiz on those wonky letters. Pam. Good job and hurray for Nancy getting the room of her dreams. She's not fretting the empty nest but rather too busy re-purposing it, LOL.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:38:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is a great surprise gift!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:40:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

how fun was that! how very thoughtful and loving sisterly of you Pam...way to go.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:42:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

How fun! I guess if we didn't need sewing rooms we could have closet rooms too. No thanks - I wouldn't give up my version of "your creative mind" for a mere closet - no matter how large!

:-)

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:45:00 PM, Blogger Hedgehog said...

It looks terrific! What a great surprise!

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:24:00 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

what a creative solution to doing something for your sister...

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:59:00 AM, Blogger Tazzie said...

What a fun gift! We could all use a 'closet room' like that, and the name quilt makes it all the more wonderful!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:19:00 PM, Blogger ~Mandy~ said...

Girlfriend says, "that is MY ROOM. I am just letting Nana borrow it for her closet! It still has MY PAINT on the walls!" What a funny girl she is :o)

 
At Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:28:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Wow! That is one great banner for her "room". I don't think anyone will ever mistake her room for theirs again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home