My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Well, you see it's like this....

...I miss MCM...this summer has been the dryest summer in MCM...and I have longed to be in there creating. Don't get me wrong, this summer has been a busy one, full of fun memories, but little to no sewing has gotten done, I think I have UNcabin fever!!

Anyway, back to my story, upon arriving home from the office last night I informed my husband that he was to forget I was home and I would see him around 7, giving me 3 hrs in MCM...ah...time to touch, snip, and create...and that is just what I did!!!

Boy, I was really in the grove! I was getting so much done and was having a blast! Around 6:30 I came out to show my progress to Ed who held a book infront of his face and asked me what time it was...he is so funny! It wasn't 7 pm and he did not want to interfer with MCM time. But he looked at my project and told me he liked it. He said it was kinda small, and yes indeed it is kinda small, but Niles is kinda small so he would not need anything very big.

This is what I made last night, a Trip Around The World (1" squares) for our traveling gnome, Niles. These beautiful prints were a gift from Nancy when she hosted Niles last spring. Thanks again Nancy, for hosting Niles and for the beautiful FQ bundle. Niles loves his quilt and can't wait for me to finish the binding (which will happen on Sunday while I visit my mother) so that he can be sure to have it when he visits with Norm next month.






Well, I had so much fun last night...I decided I would again head right into MCM after work tonight...so after reading the mail I took a wonderful piece of fabric off my design wall that I have had hanging there for inspiration. I have been wondering how I could best use this piece so as not to break it up too much. Yep, you guessed it, Tonya and her wonky letters and suggestion for using those prints that we just can't cut up to the rescue!! This will go on the one wall in our kitchen that has yet to be finished. I knew I wanted to put up a wallhanging on that wall, had talked about it with LJ and Cher who both know I love all things Mary. They each sent me a different red cherry fabric (my orginal idea for the kitchen) and one sent this wonderful Mary print! I love it but couldn't bring myself to cut it apart.

So, this is as far as I got tonight...then ran out of fabric...oh darn!!! Tomorrow I will run into JoAnn's and see if I can find some more of the black cherry fabric to add another border. The wall isn't too wide so I can't add much and if I have to stop with it just as it is that will be OK too, I'll just bind it in red and call it good.

Thanks Tonya...your wonky letters are so fun! And why is it we struggle NOT cutting up fabric??? I learned tonight I don't HAVE to cut it up if I don't want to!

A friend who lives near me is going to make me some placemats and hotpads, the rest of my cherry fabric will be used that way. I love my Mary kitchen...bright, happy, inviting...

OK, I know there was something else I was going to mention...but it is late and I gotta get to bed, 515 comes early.

Good night!

13 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

glad to see that fabric came in handy and will be part of your new kitchen after all! way to be inspired...I love how it came out!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:22:00 AM, Blogger Hedgehog said...

I'm so impressed with how much you got done in an afternoon and evening!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:27:00 AM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That little TATW quilt is so bright and cheery - I am loving bright colors right now - or at least until fall rolls around and then I will love fall colors! LOL. Great job on your kitchen wall hanging too. Yes, sometimes a bit of uninterrupted sewing time is just the ticket!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:30:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

OOH, I recognized that fabric as soon as I opened your post. :-) I really should get out my green/yellow/orange project I started on retreat that uses some of those same fabrics.

And I LOVE your little Bloom wall-hanging! But honestly it looks finished to me already. I'm not sure another border wouldn't take away from it instead of adding to it. I'd just bind it with red and call it done.

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:53:00 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Isn't it great when we get permission to do something we really want to do anyway. Love both your quilts, the Mary one looks done to me. Just add the red binding.

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:13:00 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Love your bloom quilt-it's perfect as is, just bind and hang!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:37:00 AM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

glad you've been able to get back to quilting. The quilt for Niles went together really quickly, and it looks like you had fun with the wonky letters...

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:49:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Your "Mary" hanging looks great - what a wonderful addition to your kitchen!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:18:00 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Well, I finally get to see the picture then, you big tease!

Niles TAW looks terrific and he is ready for traveling. And what a wonderful addition to the kitchen! Does it really need a border?? You can use that fabric Cher and I found you for those placemats, potholders etc surely?

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:29:00 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Cool! It looks just like the kitty one Nancy made. I love it and will definately steal that idea and Tonya's letters to make one myself. Excellent!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Fabricfaire said...

I just want to "ditto" the other comments on these two creations. So bright and cheerful!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:29:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

Great wall hanging! I'm going to have to try Tonya's letters.

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

Oh, your BLOOM looks wonderful. Fun, cheerful quilt. Your letters look great - I love that M.

I keep wanting to do another Trip Around the World in 1" blocks - that seems like the perfect size to me and your quilt just confirms it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home