My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Saturday, March 10, 2007

whoo hoo yee haw....

....I am signed in....I may never turn my computer off now that I am actually signed in. This new blogger is NOT for the faint of heart and certainly NOT for me!!! It's been almost 2 wks since I have been able to sign in, a couple of times I was able to sign in but when I either tried to post or to comment I would get signed out....troublesome!!! OK, enough complaining...I am sure you are all as tired of hearing my blogger woes as I am of having blogger woes!!!

So...what has Pam been up to? Well....how about this for starters HOOTMP in a flimsy state....
Hop On Over To My Pad
46x52

This is for me to keep at my house so will finish it off with purple buttons in the center of the pinwheels, which are 3-D. I never put buttons on donated quilts since I can not guarantee that a baby will not end up with the quilt making the buttons a choking hazard. I have a purple frog print to use as a backing. No quilting needed as 30 buttons will hold it together. Our granddaughter is forever walking in the door~getting a book, picking out a quilt and going off into "KatieBugLand" for hours...I am hoping she likes this quilt as much as I do.

I really enjoy perusing Debbie Mumm's site, I love the monthly craft/sewing projects that she posts and really liked this quilt. It is called Building Blocks but I am calling it Baby Weave because it is very similar to the Harlequin Weave that I just finished. Here is my version that I have named Spinnin' a Weave because of the fabric used. This is missing borders because I ran short of one print and hope to find a bit of the yellow when I go into town tomorrow. This quilt is a thank-you gift for the man who gave me his late wives cutting table (which is more than awesome!!). Tom has just become a great-granddad so this will be something he can give to the new baby.
Spinnin' a Weave
46x58 (when borders are added)

Hmmmm...what else has Pam been up to???

I have pretty much finished re-vamping MCM, that is for a time anyway. Our youngest son is moving back to Oregon in a few wks and he has promised to help us out with a few projects...Ed has a few projects in mind for outside in the yard and I have (at least (*¿~) ) one major project for inside. I want to pull up the carpet in MCM, we have beautiful hardwood floors under our carpet and I have always hated having carpet in MCM. So, in just a few wks I will once again be packing it all up and moving it into the livingroom...Ed is so not going to be thrilled, although he has been informed LOL!!!

I had a one week cutting party and then promptly filled the basket with scraps again...I still have far too many scraps yet uncut and would love to have that be a done-done project but as of yet that hasn't happened. I will keep plugging away at it.

Just as I was pulling yummy Orange Rolls out of the oven this morning, some friends pulled up with a treasure that I purchased from them a few weeks ago. I mentioned a new purchase back in January but didn't tell you what it is...today it was delivered and here is a pic of my new toy....isn't it beautiful? It is in perfect working condition and I took the time to sew a bit with it this afternoon. Several years ago I purchased a treadle that was in need of some work on the machine, the cabinet and the wrought iron base, I thought I was up for the task but soon found out that it was more work than I had time for so I donated it to a sale our mission group was having...they made more money on it than I had paid for it and it was out of my hair so I felt ok about it. Knowing how I love old machines, Ed was sad for me and told me to look for another one to replace it, one in better shape than the first one. My friend, Barbara and I were having dinner one night and she mentioned that her great-grandmothers treadle was going to an auction house in a couple of weeks...WHAT!!!??? NO WAY!! There was no way I was going to let her great-grandmothers treadle get out of sight....before we finished our salads we agreed on a price and the deal was sealed! I did a quick bit of research and the best I can come up with this machine was manufactured between 1834 and 1868, although Barbara seems to think it might be a few years older than that. I will keep searching until I come up with as close to accurate date as possible. She has lots of history to share with me and I have asked her to write it out so the history can be kept with it. There are all kinds of fun things in the drawers, tools and attachments that are so big and bulky it is no wonder so many women could not take their beloved machines when they traveled from the East Coast to make a new life on the West Coast (which is part of the history of this machine). Currently this is sitting in the diningroom, in front of the patio door~looking out over the back yard, as soon as my niece comes to get my grandmothers sewing machine (which I have enjoyed owning for 20+ years and I am now passing on to her to enjoy and love) I will move this into the livingroom. Until then I think I will come up with a simple project and make something (maybe new accent pillows for our bed???) on this old and very loved machine that has joined our household, and my ever growing collection of older machines.

Today I received word that after May the LQS I rent quilting machine time at will be closing. I am sad as I have so enjoyed not only the experience of machine quilting but the travel time and time away from the normal routine of my days as well. The shop owner is facing some serious issues with 3 very ill family members and is no longer able to handle the shop as well as what her future will be requiring of her. Next Saturday, March 17, I will be quilting my Harlequin Weave and plan to rent the machine in April and if it is available will rent it one last time in May before the shop closes. On the other hand a gal here in our teeny tiny little town has offered to rent her machine for the same price ($40/day). Not sure it is something I will do, but we shall see. Another option is for a group of us to purchase a machine together, which we have all talked about for years but no one has done anything about. LOL push is coming to shove and maybe we will do something about it now, maybe not. None of us wants to own a machine, but all of us want to use one LOLSpring has arrived in our teeny tiny town...I am totally loving the color that is cropping up here and there around town. The flowering plums are very pretty and pink. I thought our crocus' were done but these little guys popped up this wk, a nice surprise for me as I love crocus and IMHO they just don't have a long enough blooming season. Daffy's are blooming all over the place.

OK, let's hope Blogger will play nice and this will actually post...if so, I think I will try to read a few blogs...if not...just send the men in the little white coats my way.

9 Comments:

At Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:07:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

So glad to see you back in the blogging world - I wondered where you've been. How frustrating dealing with blogger has been for you!

Marvelous new machine - lucky, lucky you!

I'm wondering which store is closing - the one in Coos Bay or the one in Banden? Or is it a different one entirely? I enjoyed both of those quilt shops when we had our retreat last fall.

 
At Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:27:00 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Nice machine! Too bad the shop is closing since renting quilting time was working so well for you. I've read about other people buying machines together but I imagine it would be a bit challenging.

 
At Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Cher said...

oh, oh, I love that machine! lucky you! and...the quilts turned out great Pam...you have just been a woman on a quilting mission-it's wonderful to see all you have whipped out!

 
At Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:22:00 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Maybe the shop owner will sell you her machine when she closes down. Love the pink and green quilt.

 
At Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Quilt tops, (new to you) old machines and spring flowers. Lots happening at your house but when isn't THAT the case? Glad blogger let you on so you could update your readers!

 
At Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:00:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

You have had a busy couple weeks. Love the Weave quilt. The treadle is gorgeous. Enjoy it!

Which shop is closing? I hope not the one in Bandon. I really like that shop.

The flowers are pretty. Thanks for sharing a taste of spring.

 
At Monday, March 12, 2007 7:54:00 PM, Blogger SuBee said...

Wowsa - leave a girl alone for a few days and she gets into all sorts of things - LOL! What a great read - congratulations on all of it!

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:48:00 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Love hop on over to my pad- toooo cute! Katie is sure to love using it.Really love the treadle, I keep looking for one, but space is an issue, after all, how many rooms can I take over?? mwaahhaaaahaaaa

 
At Friday, March 16, 2007 1:01:00 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Great to have you back up and running again. We missed hearing from you. How frustrating. Love your new machine...what a treasure. That is very sad that you LQS is closing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home