My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What goes around, comes around....



Happy Halloween!!

My sister called me today just as I was finishing my lunch hour and she was starting hers. She couldn't wait to call me...you see it is like this....Let's start at the beginning...

27 years ago we, my sister and I, were pregnant at the same time. Yes, our due dates were just days apart. I was having my first child, she was having her second. We loved being pregnant at the same time, but I think our parents enjoyed it more so. My (our) daddy was hilarious, his daughters giving him his 7th and 8th grandbabies at the same time. My (our) daddy loved each of his grandbabies, and later when they came along, he loved loved loved his GREATgrandbabies. He would hold them in his big strong arms and stroke their little faces with the index finger of his large hands. As our due dates drew closer my (our!!) Momma told us that Daddy had ordered a shopping spree....so my momma, grandma and sister drove to Eugene from Central Oregon and I drove to Eugene from the Southern Oregon Coast for a weekend of shopping. Oh how fun to go shopping for our babies and have daddy pick up the bill!! Back then you shopped for yellow and green things because you didn't know if it was a girl baby or a boy baby. It was in the "old days" when there was still a surprise at the end of the 9 months.

Of course my sister delivered first, Alan was born on October 13. My parents called me with the news...The green eyed monster had NOTHING on me...I was SO SO jealous that she delivered before me!!! Nancy & Mark already had a daughter, Mandy age 4, a baby boy would complete their family...but why did she get to have her baby first, how unfair is that (how is that for being a spoiled younger sister?!?!) Mandy was with my parents during Alan's birth and wanted to talk to me...crying, pouting this is what she asked me...."Auntie Pami, (sob, sob, sob) I got a baby brother...if you get a baby sister can we trade?" It was hilarious. She so badly wanted a baby sister and was willing to trade if, infact, our baby was a baby girl, a "sister baby". Two days later Roy was born...and nope...there was nothing "sister" about him. They kept their brother baby and learned to love him.

Fast forward to this morning. My niece, Mandy, is pregnant...20 wks along. We live in the day and age of ultrasound (neither my sister nor I had an ultrasound when pregnant with Alan and Roy). Today was their second ultrasound and the room was full of family. Mandy and her husband-Wayne, the big sister-MacKenzie and Nancy, aka Nana. My sister was in awe of seeing her newest grandchild still in the womb, who wouldn't be...it is an amazing thing! She was awed by the legs, watching the heart beat, seeing baby move around...all of it.

When the appointment was over she called to tell me all about it...within seconds I knew...I knew she is to be blessed with a grandson, the first thing out of her mouth was "I have a JJ!!, I have a JJ!!" Remember how in love she fell with my grandson...well, ever since then she has hoped that Mandy was carrying a boy. She laughed, she cried, she laughed some more...she stumbled over herself trying to tell me everything all at once. She is so excited and I am excited for her. I wish I had a recording of her telling me about it, this is a call I will not soon forget.

So...back to the actual ultrasound. MacKenzie (age 7) was sitting on Nancy's lap when the tech comfirmed that the baby is a boy....and yep...you guessed it...she was hoping for a sister! She is disappointed about this baby boy, this baby brother. Nana told her that little brothers are good to go 4 wheeling with. Didn't help much! There is another baby being born into the family (on my BIL's side) within a couple of weeks of this little baby brother, and I am sorry to say that MacKenzie will not have any luck trading it because it too is a baby brother.

What goes around, comes around....and I am sure MacKenzie will learn to love her baby brother, she really has no other choice!

Blessings in my life:

Phone calls to share life changing news

Care Bears, Ninja Turtles, Miniture Football players and Beauty Queens knocking on my door

Seeing my momma excited about her 12th GREAT grandchild

Polka-dotted socks

Free nationwide long distance on my cell phone helps keeping in touch with pals in other time zones

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:18:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for sharing that history. What a wonderful family to have all these generations celebrating together, and to see history repeating itself! =) You are so very fortunate.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:43:00 PM, Blogger Gail said...

You have made me teary eyed. What a great story. Now me, I got a little brother too (MANY years ago), and I was disappointed too. I so badly wanted a BIG BROTHER!! I have no idea why Mom and Dad thought I would settle for a little one, did they really think I wouldn't notice it was little?????

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:12:00 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

My brother's wife and I were pregnant at the same time with our oldest boys and they were born 4 days apart. I had to laugh reading your story because she had hers first too.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:13:00 PM, Blogger ~Mandy~ said...

LOL...I told MacKenzie this very story in the u/s room! Tonight, she is rather pleased...or so that is the word she keeps telling me :) I guess only time will tell! M~

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:50:00 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

*stares into her crystal ball*

I think someone's going to be making some little boy quilts in her future. :)

 
At Wednesday, November 01, 2006 1:18:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you made me smile with this post - when DD1 at three and a half went to witness the scan of her brother to be and spotting the dotted line of the spine she exclaimed - 'LOOK DADDY - IT'S A CROCODILE!!!' - thank heavens it turned out to be the boy we were hoping for :o)

 
At Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:29:00 AM, Blogger Linda C said...

Guess we always want we can't have but God has a plan for us that we cannot fathom. Mac probably though that "brothers are good for" pep talk was a bunch of hooey but she has awhile to get used to the idea. Maybe Nana will have gotten her feet closer to the ground by then too.

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:17:00 PM, Blogger Gia said...

Loved hearing this story Pam! I am smiling just reading it. Too funny, I never knew Mandy wanted to trade Alan for a baby sister! LOL

 
At Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

Oh my, what an adorable story, and so good that you have recorded it for your family history's sake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home