My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Ahhh Factor

I'm getting ready for quilt camp, and as usual I have waited until the eleventh hour to start gathering and packing. Camp starts on Friday but the friend who invited me asked me if I wanted to go a day early just for some girlfriend time.

This friend lives in another little town, not far from me. Once a month we go "to the city" to have dinner together to offer support, be a sounding board and just get away from the daily routine. She still has children at home, all of my 5 grandkidlets are older than the youngest of her 3 children. Needless to say: our conversations cover a variety of topics and alot of ground!

Anyway, she and I are going to camp a day early ~ which means I need to be ready a day earlier, which means I am more than a day behind!!

Bring in the ahhhhh factor. I love my 30's repro's. I just get that warm fuzzy feeling when I look at them. They make me smile. When the newest Hancock catalog arrived I found a pattern in it and fell in love. I have just recently gotten my EQ and have had fun playing with the block drawing feature and of course I had to try to draw up the block from this quilt! It isn't the same as the pattern in the catalog...but it suits me just fine. So, I have 20 eight inch blocks printed (yes, I will be paper piecing these) and ready for camp. On Sunday I cut all the background and last night I got out my beloved 30's prints (that are kept in a large special basket all by themselves) and started cutting. Ahhhh, they just make me smile!! The story book prints: Little Bo Peep, Humpty Dumpty, Little Boy Blue ahhhh. The sailor prints: anchors, stars, ships ahhhhh. Scottie dogs, circus animals ahhhhh Polka dots, strips, plaids ahhhh The bubblegum pinks, the cheddar yellows, the baby blues ahhhh. Needless to say I had a great time of FF last night!

While cutting the pieces for my quilt I thought "good for you Pam, you are stashbusting" and then immediately went into a panic... "OH NO!!! I can't be stashbusting, I don't want to bust my 30's stash!!" What a goofball! They do print more of these and create new prints all the time!!!

Ahhhh, can't wait to get this top started. Warm Fuzzies!! Did I mention I am having fun with EQ?

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:47:00 AM, Blogger Hedgehog said...

I am thinking about getting EQ. Maybe Santa will bring it. Can't wait to see what you do with those 30s prints!!

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the same feelings when I use my cat prints... But I love the cat charm quilt & I have found some great ways to showcase them in an actual quilt. Have fun at your retreat!

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Good for you using your treasured fabrics! I know so many people have trouble cutting into their special fabrics. I say USE IT WHILE YOU CAN! My mom left so many fabrics that were special to her but she never used. And I housed them for several years before I mostly gave them away. Because they just were'nt to my taste and I knew I'd never use them. So use them now while you love them. Like you said. They will print more!

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:37:00 PM, Blogger Silverthimble said...

Which version of EQ do you have?

I totally understand how you feel about cutting into your 30's fabrics. I have collections that I can't bear to cut into until I have the "perfect" pattern! Unfortunately, nothing ever seems perfect enough!

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:16:00 AM, Blogger Cher said...

hurray for cutting into and making a quilt with fabrics you love-it will be a "more" special quilt because of that! I know you will have a total blast away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home