My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Friday, August 25, 2006

She didn't "get" it

Last night I took my two new quilts to show momma...first to come out of the bag was Niles' TATW. Ohhhh ahhh...yes, momma loved it: touch - pick - turn - flip....every inch was inspected and scoped out. She loves the colors and the pattern (which she indicated she had never done a TATW ~ infact, this is my first TATW). I told her it was Niles' traveling quilt...oh good grief, my momma thinks I have lost my last marble to make a quilt to send with a traveling gnome all over the world. I love to see my momma laugh!

Next out of the bag was BLOOM. ohh ahh...she loved the colors before seeing the top...then the nose wrinkled up...the forehead wrinkled up and the yabbering started...
"Do you like it?"
yabber yabber aka "mom talk"
"It's for my kitchen. Can you read it momma?"
"No"
"It says Bloom."
"Boom?"
"No, bloom"
"Bloom?"
"Yes, blooom...it is a Mary saying, see right here, Bloom where you are planted."

More nose and forehead wrinkling so I read the sayings to her:
"Bloom where you are planted"
"Well, aint you something?"
"Miss Smarty"
"Too Cute"
"Home is Where the Heart Is"
"That's What Friends Are For"
"Snap Out of It"
"Home Sweet Home"
"Put Your Heart into It"
"Princess of Quite a Lot"
"Nurture All You Love"
OK, she got that part...then it dawned on me...she doesn't like the wonky letters. LOL Ed and I totally cracked up at her!!! She was hilarious! She did not, does not like those letters!!!

My mother was a "match those seams and give those points sharp points at all cost" quilter until the last couple of years before the stroke. She would take a seam out 10 times if it did not match. This I understand, I may not have gotten a full set of organization genes from her but I got a double dose of her "pointy - match" genes from her ~ dang it!! While doing a stack and slash heart quilt a few years ago I actually suffered fits of panic - truthfully!! My friend Diana had to keep me moving on that project for me to get it done, I'm still not sold on it, although I am liking it a bit more each time I dare to look at it!

Anyway, back to momma not liking those letters...nope, nothing I could do or say would convince her that it is ok to do something that far out of her box. LOL she wasn't mad, she just doesn't "get" it.

Now, those of you who know me will not be surprised to know that I came home and started on a new and wonderful wallhanging for my momma....LOL.... stay tuned! LOL

12 Comments:

At Friday, August 25, 2006 6:39:00 PM, Blogger Melzie said...

awwwwwww that is too funny :) I cant wait to see what you make for her! xoxo melzie

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 7:21:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

no wonky letters or houses then. Everybody that does them seems to have a blast with them. I think I am a bit like your mom though--matching seams and good sharp points sorta girl.

What a cute story--in her own way she was telling you which was her favorite of the two.

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 7:22:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

I can't wait to see what you make for momma. I admit I wasn't a fanif the wonky letters at first, but after so many of you using them I have to give them a try.

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 7:54:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, dear. What in the WORLD do you have in store for Mom now? I THINK my mom would have love your Bloom and my Meow. I THINK she would have gotten it. But she sure was a fan of that seam ripper. At least in garment sewing. To this day when my sister sews and had a boo-boo she always asks herself, "would Mama make me rip it out?" cause I couldn't tell you the number of times when we were learning to sew Mama would hand one of us the seam ripper and make us do it again. LOL!

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 8:26:00 PM, Blogger Fabricfaire said...

Bless her heart, she still can express her opinion!!! Give her what ever makes her happy!

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 9:08:00 PM, Blogger quiltpixie said...

sounds like my mom... Hope you do a better job of hanging on to the fact that its well made and wonderful regardless of what she thinks than I do. :-)

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

oh ho! you will surely have the last laugh on your momma...glad you have loosen up enough to love your wonky letter wall hanging-I think it's quite special and wonderful.

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

She can still enjoy what you're doing, that's a blessing. =) I look forward to seeing what you make for her.

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Hedgehog said...

Can't wait to see what you make her. I love the idea of your gnome! Has anyone pieced a gnome? My cousin has a thing for them....

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 6:48:00 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

My Mom isn't a quilter, so she really doesn't see why I cut up fabric just to sew it back together. lol
Can't wait to see your Mom's new quilt.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 7:14:00 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Too funny! My mom just tells everyone what great quilts I do. She looks at them and says they're nice, the enthusiasm depending on her color favorites. She nods and smiles, says the right things, but she doesn't 'get it' anymore, either. Once she crocheted beautifully, and would have examined the quilt. These days its just a semi-vacant smile. Sad, hope I don't live THAT long that things no longer bring me joy or raise my interest.(not that I'm in any rush to leave, I have many quilts on my to do list LOL)

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:35:00 AM, Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

There are definitely people out there who not only don't get the letters, it's like they can't even read them. Doesn't even look like English. Panic attacks from stack-and-slash, huh? Aiyee. Wow, I'm even more impressed then with your wild letters. good for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home