My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Like Chopping Wood ~~ Warmth X2

I am working away at getting Gramma's Aprons (Novemeber 6th post) quilted....and loving the process, it's been a long while since I have completely handquilted a quilt.

I had a heck of a time finding any stencils that I wanted to use for the border quilting, finally decided on three different ones that I liked somewhat equally ~ mixed and matched and came up with a plan to use all three! I knew I wanted to put flowers on Gramma's Aprons...thought I might want something vine-y with leaves between the flowers...really like cabling so played around with what I had and what I found and am really liking how it is all coming together... even if it would make some seasoned handquilters gag from using all three of these stencils on the same quilt!! LOL

Just like chopping wood for the winter woodpile, this is keeping me warm while working on it and will keep me warm when it is ready for use. While working on it each evening it is draped over my legs...Akira usually is content to wiggle his way under it and lay on my lap..which is much easier for me to quilt since he is not laying on my bossom, his favorite place to nap!!!

Today is KatieBugs last volleyball game of the year....wrestling is about half over for Rex and Tristan....basketball is just around the corner (all 3 grands)...always hopping with the grandkids, and we try really hard not to miss a moment of any of it.

Christmas gift purchasing is pretty much done at our house, an easy year for us, we knew what we wanted to do for almost everyone early on and had pretty much finished our shopping even before it was time to get started! This afternoon we will get boxes ready to be mailed out on Monday. Still no tree up at our house...at this late date I am thinking it will not happen. Decorating didn't happen either. I do have a few things out that are out only at Christmas but we are not decorated like usual, Ed usually does a fantastic job of getting a nativity display on the lawn and lights on the house, nothing this year. As I mentioned in an earlier post, between his continued recovery from back surgery and my so very graceful fall off the deck (landing on my right shoulder) neither one of us is in any kind of shape to do any of the lugging and toting around that it would take. Next year! Next year!! Next year!!!Here is a pic of my Christmas quilt, it went on our bed this morning. This was finished in 2003, but I think I started it in 2000...got the top done but couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to do the applique Before or After the machine quilting so we used it on the bed for 2 years as an incomplete top. I finally decided to do the applique AFTER I got it back from my machine quilting lady. She did an absolutely wonderful job! The quilting is holly leafs and berries, makes me smile. There are usually 10 or more bears dressing in their holiday attire on the bed as well..but they are packed away, waiting for next year!
Jack-dolph

And today was Antenna Ball Changing Day...so here is a pic of the one coming off...I warned Jack-dolph to keep his eyes closed but he must have peeked at some point while the car was speeding along and now I see he has lost an eye...poor Jack-dolph!! Jack-man is currently on the car, but I don't have a picture to show you...soon...I love Antenna Balls!!!

There you have it...an update for what is worth!

What are you up to???

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Saturday, December 16, 2006 4:02:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

We haven't done much Christmas decorating this year either. I love your Christmas quilt. I must make a Christmas quilt for me. I didn't know people still used antenna balls! Your's is cute.

 
At Saturday, December 16, 2006 7:36:00 PM, Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

I haven't really done any decorating either. I like your Christmas quilt. It's nice and cheery.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 1:12:00 AM, Blogger Fiona said...

I do like your Christmas quilt - I clicked for a close up on the holly and berries quilting pattern - looks fab.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:43:00 AM, Blogger Joyce said...

Your Christmas quilt is beautiful. No decorating here either. If we had small kids aronud I would but we are going to them at Christmas so I let them do the decorating.

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Even with a Little Boy, we keep decorating to a minimum - holiday flag on the door, small collection of rhinestone trees, and an Advent calendar - that's it. Christmas tree will be on Christmas Eve at my sister-in-laws house. But I am thinking that it would be nice to have Christmas quilts... hummm. Yours is lovely!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:22:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

lovely post Pam...thanks for sharing your Christmas quilt. I fixed our outside lights, but, so far that is just about the sum of our decorating.
We have played Christmas music all day today-and I have baked cookies..so still plenty of time to enjoy the holiday spirit.

 
At Monday, December 18, 2006 8:13:00 PM, Blogger ForestJane said...

Sounds like you've been very busy!

I've never made a gingerbread house - almost signed up for a class a couple of years ago, but it was on a Saturday when I had to work. :(

Now a permanent fabric one would be fun... lol

 
At Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:01:00 PM, Blogger Fabricfaire said...

I love your Christmas quilt! I need to do one again. You have given me inspiration....first I need to attend to the UFO' that are stacked up! We decorate to the max! Check out my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home