My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Do You SUDOKU???

..You see, it all started out like this, quite innocently I might add...

Several months ago my BIL became quite ill was admitted to the hospital, expecting to be there for several days. He is a big fan of crossword and JUMBLE puzzles, (don't even tease him about having done the Sunday Jumble ahead of him, that's NOT funny!) so, naturally I thought that he might enjoy a change of puzzle pace and sent him a large SUDOKU book to keep him from being 100% totally bored while in the hospital, and wouldn't you know it...he didn't even like SUDOKU?? (I did mention is only related by marriage and not blood, didn't I?). Since my sister was sitting by his bedside for hours each day/night, she picked up the book and instantly was hooked! (I did mention she and I are related by blood didn't I??) I created a monster!!! I knew she would love it as much as I.

We are totally addicted, this SUDOKU sickness is bad. Really bad. I see the grid when I go to sleep at night! And sadly my sissy can now only count to 9! We are hopeless. (We are currently looking for a SUDOKU Anynomous Group meeting to attend, "Hi, We are the Hamilton sisters and we are SUDOKU addicts", you know...the whole bit).

So, what do you give a Sudoku Addict far a "no reason other than I just love you" gift? More SUDOKU books, lots of pencils, a fat eraser, more books. AND....

A Sudoku Quilt!!
Nancy's Sudoku Quilt
74x74

I am totally not a good surprise keeper so when I thought about making her this quilt I knew it was either get it done right away or spoil the surprise!

I had gotten 2 sets of instructions for a SUDOKU quilt in the mail from a couple of quilty friends, but I felt both were just too small and not much of a punch to either....what to do? what to do? I knew I wanted to make Nancy a SSS (Secret Sudoku Surpise). Then EQ came into my life. AH, I can add borders~borders added....BORING....Ah...I can add "SUDOKU" across the top...Still not big enough (Sissy lives in cold weather territory and I wanted it big enough for her to keep warm while playing SUDOKU at night and maybe large enough to cuddle with a special granddaughter as well). So, added the numbers....ok, getting there...kinda fun....but still needs something else....Ah ha! Pencils!! YES!! pencils. Letters, numbers and pencils are all SewPrecise files.

So, drew it up and sent the file off to Linda for her expert opinion (she is my personal EQ expert!!). She gave it her stamp of approval so, my first EQ quilt design was born.

Designed it in a day or so, cut it out and sewed it up in the next few days, then it had to sit around for a couple of wks or so until I could get it to the quilter, got it back just in time to get the binding and label on it before my sister arrived to spend Thanksgiving with Momma while Ed and I camped with the kids (yes, we camped!!!...another story for another time).
When Nancy saw her surprise, this is what she saw (sorry, the pic keeps flipping)....new SUDOKU books, a fat pen, giant pencil, and comics all folded up into a quilt...but she had no idea what the quilt looked like...she was just thrilled to get the new books...then she opened it up and LOL...let me just say I have THE most gracious sissy around!! She loves her surprise as much as I loved planning and creating it for her.

I love surprises! And this one was pulled off just right!!! Nancy knew I had something up my sleeve, but had no idea what it was. I love it when everything falls into place!

Enjoy your quilt Nancy...I love you! SOPO!!!

21 Comments:

At Sunday, November 26, 2006 5:43:00 PM, Blogger Sweet P said...

You are a awesome sister! The quilt is stunning and the added touched of the numbers and pencils and even the pocket add so much to the quilt. No wonder your sister was ecstatic when she saw it.

 
At Sunday, November 26, 2006 5:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I sudoku but on the computer and in easy mode where it tells me that I am goofing up. Not as good as you and Nancy. The quilt looks fantastic!! See? EQ designs CAN become honest to gosh quilts.

 
At Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger Angie said...

What an absolutely wonderful sister "just cause I luv U" gift!!! Lucky sister!! :) Oh, and the quilt is gorgeous...LOVE those colors!!

 
At Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:48:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

What a wonderful surprise! Perfect for a Sudoku lover. You are one marvelous sister.

Missed you while you were gone - you were camping!? I sure hope you found someplace to go out of the rain - couldn't have been here in western Washington or Oregon!

 
At Sunday, November 26, 2006 7:31:00 PM, Blogger Joyce said...

What a great quilt, even for a non-Suduko like me. I love the colors. Your sister must have flipped over it.

 
At Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:45:00 PM, Blogger Finn said...

Hi Pam, love the story!!! And I love the quilt even more...*VBS* What a great idea for that poor newly addicted addict...LOL
Seriously, the colors are great and it looks like the perfect snuggle quilt. Now, to even the score, are you going to do a word jumble quilt?? That could be fun too!
Hugs for such a neat sister, Finn

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 2:14:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

LOL! This is sooooooo funny because I'm working on a Sudoku quilt too! I have the blocks pieced and just have to do the lettere and numbers. Yep I'm using Tonya's wonky letters to spell Sudoku and the numbers 1 thru 9! Each number will be pieced with the fabric that corresponds with it on the grid and the Sudoku probably in black. What's even funnier is when I pulled your post up in bloglines and it said "Nancy's Sudoku Quilt" I'm thinking, "how does she know about my quilt?" LOL!

Yes I'm BIG Sudoku addict. I carry a puzzle everywhere I go and have the software on my computer. Often when I can't sleep in the middle of the night I can be found either reading quilt blogs or playing Sudoku. (Like right now. LOL!)

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 3:45:00 AM, Blogger Gail said...

Oh the quilt is wonderful, and aren't you a wonderful sister!

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 5:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen many suduko quilts lately, but I like yours the best! What a wonderful surprise for your sister. That Linda is an expert at many things--I didn't know suduko was also one of those expertises! Isn't it wonderful to have a sister that shares your interest and friends that share the same interest so they can help with your surprise!

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 7:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NEAT! That was/is probably the perfect gift from a quilter to a Soduko player. I am one of those who "doesn't get it." Or as my friend found out - gets it too quickly...

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 9:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a SUDOKU addicted too, so maybe we can find an international group of the anynomous sudoku addicted.
I love your quilt, it is wonderful.

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 2:30:00 PM, Blogger Simonetta said...

Hi Pam,marvelous job! Indeed a beautiful quilt of great effect!!!

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 3:43:00 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Oh Nancy, that is just a fantastic quilt! Your sister is very lucky to have someone as intuitive and creative like you.

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 3:45:00 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Sorry, I mean "Pam". I think I was thinking about how Nancy is making one too when I left the comment. Bad me!!

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:35:00 AM, Blogger KC Quilter said...

Wowzie wow wow! Love that Sudoku quilt--it is so colorful and fun. And what a fantastic surprise you pulled off. I feel a Sister_Of-The-Year award coming for you.....

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE this quilt!!!! I'm a Sudoku fan, so it will be added to my MUST DO list. You did a great job - design and colors and making it a surprise.

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew about Sudoku! Wow, what a nice colorful quilt! I know the "sister thingy". My sisters and I all know what the other is thinking. Good thing we weren't tripletts! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:46:00 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

You did great designing your first EQ quilt. I've seen a couple Sudoku quilts but this is the cutest!

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 10:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally addicted to Sudoku, too! This quilt is so cool - and I love the way you folded things into is to present it. What a lucky sister.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:19:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That is a super-fab and very personalized quilt! What a great gift to give your hooked sister. I wonder what historians might say about this designs years and years down the road!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

Oh what a beautiful sudoku quilt. I've seen others that I thought were kinda boring, but you really brought the game to life. I am addicted to it as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home