My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Fly Eyes, Ziplock Baggies, Grandkids and Gifts of Love

Insects have compound eyes. Instead of one lens they see through two spheres with
many lenses. But apart from that they also often have extra single lens eye on the front of the head. Each lens of the compound eye catches it's own image. The
final image an insect sees is like a mosaic. The morelenses the compound eye
bears the higher the resolution of the image. The two large spherical eyes of a
fly give an almost complete 360 degree vision.


While having breakfast in a quaint little coast town last spring, we noticed a ziplock baggie full of water hanging above the open door. Strange....Interesting....Off the Wall. There was also a sign posted next to it on the door frame. We looked at it, stared at it then I could take it no more...had to get up and see what it was all about.

Seems when a fly sees the bag of water his eyes mulitply the bags and gives the flies the impression that there is a wall of water in front of them and they will not cross it. So...this resturant hung a bag of water above the door. We did not see any flies in the place so figured there must be something to this. When we got home I filled a quart ziplock bag with water and tacked it above the sliding door.

Our grandkids are in and out the patio door, the adults are in and out the patio door, the cat is in and out the patio door. All last summer our patio door was open. We had exactly 2 flies enter out house all summer long.

Last wknd I filled another quart ziplock baggie and found a large pushpin and hung up our "fly screendoor". If you try this, let me know if it works as good at your house as it does at ours. I love these natural, no chemical solutions to pesky issues.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: We are down to the wire time wise for vacation. I have a dozen projects yet to complete, packing to do, a bit of shopping yet not finished. What's new? Tomorrow is Friday, the beginning of the wknd. I am planning to take the wknd to get as completely done with everything as possible...we'll see how that goes!

I am enjoying the sun, which is suppose to go away tomorrow. I love the warm air on my skin and can't wait to get to Southern California/Mexico where it will be warm and sunny.

Cher handed over 29 quilts and I have 32 ready (14 more promised to be turned in before I ship these to San Diego next week) here so we will have between 61 and 75 quilts to take into Mexico. I am so excited about this, I wish everyone who quilts for charity could experience this part of the process. Nothing beats seeing the eyes of a child sparkle when you wrap a quilt around him/her...nothing beats having a child crawl up on your lap and lay their little head on your shoulder, speaking in a language you can't understand but totally understanding the smiles hugs and laughter...it totally rips your heart out and at the same time it fills your heart with the assurance that you have done something right in the world.

As the school bus goes past the office each morning our middle grandson holds up a sign letting me know how many more days until we leave, this morning the sign said "9 days Grandma"...I love living in a small town where grandparents and grandkids wave to each other each morning, where we can be involved in these kids' everyday lives...baseball is going strong with games 4 nights a wk and Saturday morning.

OK, off to bed...

7 Comments:

At Friday, May 19, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I'd heard of that trick before, but never tried it. I wish it would work for moths!! Can't wait to hear all about your Mexico trip!

 
At Friday, May 19, 2006 10:10:00 AM, Blogger ~Mandy~ said...

The only problem is, the bags get knocked down, or fall because the water is too heavy and the tack is not strong enough. IF you can get them to stay, yes they do work!

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:51:00 AM, Blogger Cher said...

good luck with tackling all the must dos, need to dos and want to dos! I think even without vacation plans many of us are finding ourselves quite busy right now! I am so excited for you and the family to be going off on this fun adventure!

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:07:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

unique in theory anyway regarding the water bags.

I've been privileged to see pictures of some of the kids with their quilts and I know why you are looking forward to delivering more. We don't often get to see who gets our donation quilts, as you know.

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:55:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

This is the best news I've heard in a long time! My dad keeps a ziplock bag of water hanging over his door and we've laughed at him. After chasing flies around all day while trying to make bread, you can bet I'll have a ziplock bag of water hanging over my door tomorrow!

Now, do you know how to get rid of a bunny?? :)

That is neat about your grandson holding up the sign!

Judy L.

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:59:00 AM, Blogger ForestJane said...

But my luck, the fly would be looking at the ham sandwich on the table when he flies thru the door, NOT the bag of water hanging above... lol

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2006 5:36:00 PM, Blogger Mary Johnson said...

Great job on all the donation quilts.

I make a bunch too but usually don't give them to the recipients myself - it doesn't bother me though because I know how wonderful it is to have a quilt to wrap up in - that's why I make them for others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home