My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Monday, May 01, 2006

"Oh, That Stuff"

Several years ago Wrap Them in Love was donated a truck load of fabric....the founder, Ellen, spent hours and hours cutting it up into kits which she challenged us to make into a quilts...I think we donated $5 per kit which included everything you needed to make a quilt (minus the time). This is the fabric that never ends, it crops up from time to time in WTIL quilts and everyone always gets a good laugh out of the fact that there is STILL some of it around.

Well....while going through my momma's stuff I found yet another kit of "That Stuff". I for one am sick of this stuff, but my granddaughter thought it was the coolest and latched right on to it thinking it would make a great boy quilt. So...she sat right down and made up a top, doing a bit more designing than her first top, and this is the end result. I am so proud of her, at only 8 years of age she has already made 2 quilts...both of which she is excitedly waiting to give to children in Mexico when we go on a short mission trip next month. She now has a boy quilt and a girl quilt to give away, made by her own hands.

9 Comments:

At Monday, May 01, 2006 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

Well done, Katiebug! And I have a bunch of that stuff left myself but partly because I asked for more. I like the blue colorway but the red was harder to work with especially that cobblestone stuff.

I really, really like the gold colored stuff and would take all I could get my hands on.

You are not going to believe it but a block in Betsy Christmas quilt that I was working on tonight has it for the gold on the Christmas Star!! Cracked me up!

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:12:00 AM, Blogger Hanne said...

What a great granddaughter you have - I bet you are very proud :-)

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

what a sweet and talented granddaughter you have!

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 2:43:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

How marvelous for everyone concerned - you, your granddaughter, and the people who will benefit from the love and generousity of both of you.

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 3:46:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

A TRUCKLOAD of fabric? Oh my, I can see that it would take a long time to use it all up. And what is old to us - is new to someone else! That is great that your gd was excited about the fabric and made such a wonderful quilt to give away. And whoever gets that quilt - chances are that they have never ever seen that fabric either and are going to love it!

Cheers!

Eveyn

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 7:02:00 PM, Blogger dot said...

You most certainly are raising a thoughtful and loving child. You should be pround of yourself and her. Her talents are great and I am sure she is on her way to a quilting career.

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:34:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

woohoo! way to go Katie and grandma! very nice design, please tell her I am going to "copy" her I like it so much :-) hugs

 
At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Katie is lucky to have such a great grandma to teach her to quilt. I wish I would have started at such a young age!!!

 
At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

How wonderful that your granddaughter is already both quilting, and giving them to others!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home