My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Promised Pics ~ Courtyard Part II

Looking from the back yard to the front yard (West to East)
2 years ago I decided this would be my space...first up was to have the walkway scalloped...thanks Roy (oldest son) and Ed (hubby). In a month or so the arbor that you can see above the gate will be covered in the most yummy smelling jasmine...I stick my nose into that everytime I walk but it while it is blooming, in fact, during it blooming season I roll a blossom or two around in my hands after washing them! Natural perfume!
On the left side is the rock disk that my parents gave us...hilarious...When my parents were closing their nursery, daddy just KNEW we needed this disk that had been in their stock...so they loaded it into their truck with a tractor...drove 5 hrs to our house and then we all stood around trying to figure out how to get it out of their truck into our backyard...below is a better picture of the disk, which now has a cute little topiary in it along with these cute little pink flowering grasses that minic the ball of the topiary (I am hoping Blogger will enlarge this pic!).
In this picture you can see a bench..above the bench is the kitchen window. As soon as the flowers in the window box start blooming there will be wave petunia's flowing down color color color!...looking out the kitchen window always makes me smile, no matter what time of year. The other two windows are the livingroom. The box beside the bench is to house the water hose...but I think Ed has forgotten about moving the waterline, in the mean time it makes a great table to set my coffee cup/iced tea glass. There are 2 honeysuckles and 2 (???can't spell it???) arbervitums below the living room windows.Here you can see a better view of the clematis. Both are healthy plants, but one begins its blooming season a bit later, it is going to be beautiful when it starts blooming, it is already heavy with blossom heads. You can also see my other "down under" planter in the foreground with the one I showed in my last post in the background, down by the gate.This wall plaque is a special gift given to me by a young woman whom I discipled for 2 years prior to her marriage. Just before her wedding she asked me to baptize her. We had a private ceremony with her family, her fiance's family and a couple of close friends. It was a special time for everyone...especially for her fiance. They have been married for almost 2 years and are such a fun couple!

Courtyard plans for Summer 2006:
**kill off the grass on path**
**plant blue star creeper on path**
**place stepping stones on path**
I have all the stuff I need for each of the grandkids as well as my favorite (I know..I know, not suppose to have favorites, but I do!!!!...oh well) great-niece to make stepping stones... As soon as the stepping stones are done we will place them on the path and let the blue star creeper grow around them and fill in that area. I think it will be beautiful!
Ed just left to go pick up the rest of our hanging baskets. As soon as these last ones are hanging we are finished with the new stuff. Can't wait for everything to be in full bloom...color color color. I love color...have I mentioned that?
Since you asked:
Jeanne...Million Bells are miniture wave (or super) petunia's. There are other names for them as well (trumpet petunias etc). We have petunia's (mini's and regular size) all over the yard. I love how fast they grow, how much color they give off and the fact that they are rather forgiving if they don't get watered each day. I DON'T like having to deadhead them but I do it knowing that they will provide us with lots of color in the yard all season and into the fall.
Last year we had "issues" with our neighbor on the other side of the fence. Those issues have been resolved and this year we can get back to using (and enjoying) the courtyard whenever we choose without disappointment regarding what is going on on the otherside of the fence. When you live in town, when your houses are stacked up ontop of each other, you just don't always have life 100% as you would choose.
So...there you have it a virtual tour of our courtyard...please come have a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea with me!

9 Comments:

At Saturday, May 06, 2006 4:03:00 PM, Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow! You really make GREAT use of that space! I have only been gardening for 2 years now and really enjoy it!

Cheers!

Evelyn

 
At Saturday, May 06, 2006 6:22:00 PM, Blogger Linda C said...

It all looks terrific, Pam. You, Ed and any other helpers along the way have made it into such a wonderful spot. One day, I'm going to see it all for myself.

 
At Saturday, May 06, 2006 6:29:00 PM, Blogger Cher said...

looking so nice Pam...!

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:58:00 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Your courtyard is just beautiful, looks like such a relaxing place to sit with a glass of iced tea on a warm, summer afternoon! Thanks for sharing!

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:40:00 PM, Blogger ~Mandy~ said...

I love those down under planters!

 
At Monday, May 08, 2006 6:33:00 AM, Blogger The Calico Cat said...

very nice!

 
At Monday, May 08, 2006 8:06:00 AM, Blogger  Jeanne said...

What a charming space! You will remember to show us the jasmine blooming on the arbor, won't you?
I'll have to look for those petunias!
Jeanne :)

 
At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Granny said...

Looks like a great space! I used to want a large yard full of blooming plants but I soon realized that I ended up with a large space full of weeds! I think your area looks quite lovely and very manageable.

Judy L.

 
At Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:50:00 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Gorgeous space! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs
Laurie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home