My Creative Mind

My Creative Mind

Friday, January 05, 2007

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall...

...I Am My Mother Afterall


I've been reflecting on a lot of different things in my life of late....I tend to go through these seasons from time to time...something will happen to trigger a memory and off I go down Reflection Road.

So....these are a couple of the things I have found on this trip down Memory Lane.
  • My mother loved spending time with her grandchildren...and since I have 2 sons I was able to see her interact with grandsons more than granddaughters. Rex is my oldest grandson, he is 14. When our oldest son, Roy, was about the same age he was in the kitchen fixing something or another and my mother came around the corner and gave him the biggest hug then kept walking through the kitchen and into the diningroom. This past Christmas day I was standing at the kitchen sink at our kids' home and Rex came through, put his arm around my neck and said "I have the best gramma in the world." Roy said that to me about his gma...my mother...after getting that special hug from her. I am not sure what prompted Rex to hug me or make that statement but I do know that I learned to be the gramma I am by watching my mother with her 11 grandchildren and numerous great-grands.
  • I love holding my mothers hands...and I love it when she holds my hand...she strokes my hand, plays with my jewerly (my wedding ring was her mothers ~ my grandmothers ~ wedding ring), she pokes at the saggy skin on my knuckles ~ she has the softest touch. Almost every day that I see my mother I get a hot wash cloth and wash her face and hands...then I message her hands and arms with "stinky stuff" hand lotion that is saved just for this purpose. I love the feel of her skin and she loves getting all that attention. Our granddaughter, Kaitlyn (age 9) loves it when I message her hands or feet with "stinky stuff". She and I can sit for hours sharing conversation, reading books, watching a movie and holding pinkies. The power of touch. The picture above is my mothers and my left hands...as much as our hands look alike...my sisters hands look even more like my mothers, someday I hope to get a picture of our 3 hands together.
Mirror Mirror on the Wall
I am My Mother Afterall


(I am one lucky daughter!)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:44:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I love it when someone tells me "you reming me so much of your Mama when you do that." Cause while I don't look anything like she did I do love it that people can see some of her ways in me. And I also consider myself one lucky daughter to have had her love and influence in my life.

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:07:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Oh Pam, I had a chill go down my spine when I read this post. You could have been writing MY story. Brings tears to my eyes...my Mom has been gone 10 years, yet I think of her EVERY SINGLE DAY. She too loved to have her hands (or legs or feet LOL) massaged with lotion, and the day she died I was doing that very thing for her in ICU...gotta go find a tissue...but thank you soooo much for sharing this...I too am my Mother after all (and so very lucky to be). My sisters and I are always commenting on whose hands are most like Mom's...

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:37:00 AM, Blogger Sweet P said...

A beautiful tribute to your mother - and to yourself. I don't live near my mother, but sometimes I wished I lived closer. This is one of those times. That is a beautiful picture. You should do something special with it.

PS - I like the placemats you made for your son. Tell him he can eat my share of sushi. Can't stand the stuff.

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:43:00 AM, Blogger Melzie said...

Oh this is a beautiful post :) Thank you for sharing it. I use to poke my Nana's arm skin and rub her wrinkles. :) xoxo melzie

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 3:31:00 PM, Blogger Dawn's Daily Journal said...

you seem like the gentlest of souls, your family is really blessed to have you! I was passing a mirror the other day and thought what is my mom doing in there??! heehee It happens to us all....if we're lucky.:) Have a wonderful day!
dawn

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:22:00 PM, Blogger SuBee said...

You took my breath - I keep staring at my hands too, and wishing I could be like her. Good thing those tissues are right here.....

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:53:00 AM, Blogger Shelina said...

What a sweet and awesome tribute to your Mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home